Sunday, September 7, 2014

September 7, 2014 - Stash Report - Flowering Snowball Quilt



I am thrilled with this Flowering Snowball quilt. It has 900 pieces. 10 blocks x 10 blocks. My blocks are 10 inches.



It is 97 inches square after washing and drying. I enjoyed every step of making this quilt. Picking out the 400 different fabrics for the petals, cutting all the pieces, pinning and sewing the blocks, rows and top together, even the quilting and binding were happily done. The big plus is that 96% of my seams match! I thought I would be lucky if I could get 50% of them to match.

Quite a few bloggers said that they didn't pin or only used a few pins when making this quilt, I used a lot of really skinny pins and sewed over them without once breaking my needle.  I did try only using a few pins but it just didn't work for me, couldn't get the pieces to line up.

I couldn't fit the petal template on the straight of grain on some of my scraps so I just put it in any direction it would fit and was very careful when handling them so they wouldn't stretch and get out of shape. My quilt lays flat.

Do I dare say that this is my favorite quilt? I really, really like the scrappiness of it. So glad I went with Kona silver for the background instead of white or beige.

When I first saw the quilt that Mary made (and you can see it  at her blog Molly Flanders)  I knew that I had to make one or at least try to make one. 


When I first began this quilt I was completely out of my comfort zone.


Take a look at Nicole's quilt - it is going to be gorgeous!


Linking up with Mrs Sew & Sow's Scraptastic Tuesday






This is Ruby - 

She is 4 months old. I am going twice a week for training so I will know how to teach Ruby what she needs to know. Ruby comes with me. I don't want to have a 90 pound dog that doesn't listen to me. I want to be the pack leader.

We just finished one of our training sessions, that is why her tongue is hanging out. I can only get a picture of her after she is worn out otherwise she is too excited. She is sitting when told, we are working on sit/stay and come when called. She is learning quickly, so am I! She is a inside/outside dog. 

Once we have moved (feels like it is never going to happen) and she is a bit older I will have someone come out to teach her the boundaries of our property. 

Added since last report - ZERO yards - I am not buying any more this year!
Added YTD - 79.62 yards
Used since last report - 23.52 yards
Used YTD - 378.93 yards
Net Used - 299.31 yards 
fabric not counted until quilt is 100% finished

Quilts finished in 2014 - 57

UFO - Jan - Feb - Mar - Apr - May - June - July - Aug - Sept - Oct - Nov - Dec
QOV - Jan - Feb - Mar - Apr - May - June - July - Aug - Sept - Oct - Nov - Dec
RMH - Jan - Feb - Mar - Apr - May - June - JulyAugSept-OctNovDec +19
Baby Quilts - 31 of 52 quilts 
Fat Quarter Shop - 4 out of 24 blocks 
Tula Pink - 120 of 120 blocks - made 20 extra blocks

19 comments:

Kathie said...

Absolutely beautiful quilt.

Julie in GA said...

Your Flowering Snowball quilt is amazing! Such beautiful colors, and your piecing looks perfect. Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

Suzanne said...

You quilt is outstanding and your stash busting numbers are impressive! Sweet dog too.

Libby in TN said...

You did a great job. I'd be happy with 96% matching any day! Congrats!

Mary-Kay said...

Beautiful quilt! I love it and now I might wander over to Mary's blog and have a look at the pattern. I love the scrappiness of it!

Shannon said...

That is a lot of different scraps! You did a great job spreading out the colors. Cute little puppy!

Karen said...

Every time I see your flowering snowball quilt I am reminded what a stunning quilt it is. You did an awesome sewing job. Rudy is adorable.

Laura said...

Your flowering snowball quilt is just beautiful! I've not been successful at curves, so I'm very impressed with your skill.

Great idea to train your dog now! My dogs used to love their classes, and even the homework was fun for me.

Helen said...

Dee Dee - I love your flowering snowball quilt! Re your pup - he looks the sweetie!

Re your stash - I definitely understand not adding any more stash! Was sorely tempted myself this past week when sono's ex-girlfriend (she's married, he's married - just not to each other) was here in MA visiting her inlaws and she stopped by. She's a beginning quilter - so I took her to the LQS (local quilt shop) and introduced her to the luscious fabrics there. It was such a temptation! She spent well over an hour looking - came home with only a small amount and I came home with.... nothing! except an afternoon spent browsing and having fun!

Leanne said...

I love your quilt, it sure deserves to be a favourite. Your puppy is adorable too! I'm glad you are joining us for Scraptastic Tuesday.

Nicky said...

Loving that Flowering Snowball quilt! I made one too but bought fabric specifically for it and sort or regretting it. Have been through puppy classes with our 2 year old Maddie - think we have let her pick up some bad habits though so we might need retraining! Thanks for joining up to #scraptastictuesday

mtnquiltr said...

What a great quilt, I just love it! No wonder it's your favourite!

Kathy S. said...

Ruby is adorable! I love your Flowering Snowball quilt. I also love your finished quilts tally at the bottom of your page. Great work!

Susan said...

Wow, gorgeous quilt, and you are one busy quilter!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That quilt is gorgeous! Love the baby quilt and Ruby looks like a Rott? I have a half-rott / husky mix. Rambunctious but lovable :)

Emmajane said...

Beautiful Flowering Snowball! All those petals look amazing together.

KaHolly said...

Karen from K's Quilting Corner sent me the link to this post so I could see your beautiful Flowering Snowball quilt. I am so very impressed! It would be a little bit out of my comfort zone, too, but you mastered those curves. Very nice!!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Love the colorful snowball quilt. It looks very complicated.

Heather J said...

Fantastic quilt.